[AT] Tractor colors

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 10 19:47:56 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Tractor colors

> Just curious... How many here have a tractor that is painted non
> original colors and if so did you buy it like that or did you paint
> it?

Dad's Cockshutt 50 that I posted the picture of recently has seen a couple
of paint jobs that I know of. When Dad bought it in 59  (as a 56 model) the
tractor was "harvest gold", the colour scheme of the later 50s and the newer
560-570 line. We could see it had been re-decalled and later realized that
the tractor had originally been red. I'm not sure but Dad may have
brightened up the harvest gold with a can of paint from the Cockshutt dealer
some years later and then in 1975 he painted it red. Not Cockshutt red but a
hardwre store variety red that looked ok combined with the now white wheels.
If I ever get around to repainting I will likely go back to the original red
that would be more correct for a 1953 model.

The Cockshutt 40 Dad bought in 67 was "rust red" at the time after spending
most of its life outside in the sun. Dad soon got busy with the brush and a
can of Cockshutt harvest gold to make it match the 50. A couple of winters
ago I was looking to make a change so found a pretty straight hood and
grille off a red 40, complete with decals and installed it.
Now I guess I'll have to get a picture of it up here to show what I'm
talking about. Dont' get me wrong, its no showroom paint job, but they say a
change is as good as a rest. And I like it.

Ralph in Sask.