[Farmall] Drive Shaft For H Lift All

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 10 08:17:50 PST 2009

The H was one my father farmed with for 45 years, and on the H liftall
there is a spring that when the pump reaches maximum pressure (such as
end of hydraulic stroke) returns the lever to the hold position.  That
spring breaking is a common problem, and most people do not bother to
replace it since the only thing it does is automatically pull the lever
back to neutral at high pressure.  We were lucky enough that the end of
the spring, about twice the size of a pencil lead and around 1 1/2
inches long was picked up in the pump intake and went through the pump.
It actually took small pieces out of the pump gear as it went through.
The pump did not work quite as well afterwards, but money was tight and
we just used heavier oil in it.  After some great friends on the
Farmallcub.com forum got it and fixed it up then gave it back to me
along with the loader as a surprise I decided to do some repairs.  I
welded a piece of bar stock to a 5/8 bolt and used my impact wrench to
try removing the drive lug on the pump to replace that seal, but broke
the bolt.  Also made a pretty good crease in the piece of flat steel I
had inserted in the pump to hold it.  After that I bought another used
pump and fixed it up, but the seal at the front of the transmission is
leaking pretty bad, and I have not had any luck at unscrewing that
coupling.  I made a tool out of a piece of 18 inch long angle iron and
some flat stock, but was not able to turn it with that.  The next thing
I was thinking of was grinding down an impact socket and welding some
bar stock on it to use with my impact wrench.  I have a 1/2 inch drive
650 ft/lb impact I think I can get in there, but due to my health I have
not attempted to remove the pump and do it yet.  As to inspecting the
coupling, I cannot see any damage, but it is hard to see inside the housing.