[AT] When did you start collecting old tractors?

Paul Waugh pwaugh at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:23:48 PST 2009

Leaving the farm at 18, whenever I got back for a few hours during my 20's
and 30's I was on an old tractor every moment I could.  In 1977 at the ripe
age of 37 we moved to TN on to 7 acres of ' hill'.  I knew it had to be a
wide front end. I found a 1948 (same year my wife was born) 8N for $600.  I
put sleeves, pistons and rings in it that winter under a piece of plastic.
She bush hogged for several years, then the hydraulic pump needed rebuilt,
so I did.  I started buying my greens in 1990, a little MT. I wanted
bigger!!  I sold the 8N for $2800 (with used bush hog, LOL) to finance my
green.  I had a few B's, then bought a 520 and fixed it up. (fenders, top
link, tires,etc) I had a 420 at the same time. I took both to Eagleville, TN
show. I wanted to sell the 420, this one guy kept pestering me about the
520. Finally on Saturday morning at 10:00, I shot him a price of  $3500,
$1000 more than I had in it, CASH!. His 12 yr old son said, "Dad, such and
such bank is open until noon". I learned a lesson, never put a price on it
if you don't want to sell it.

Moving back to IN in 96 on the lake, the herd had to be thinned.  I kept the
420. I went to old engines because of space. Now that my son has 15 acres,
he has a Ford Jubilee, I have a JD 420, 60, and a 931 Comfort King Case.

I guess the answer is 1977.  Never restored one yet, just fixed them up real
good and USED them :))

Paul - N. IN