[Farmall] Farmall H - Won't Start

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 09:36:08 PST 2009

Do all those things and then check the grounds - the connections need to
be clean and bright. This includes the bolts holding the starter to the
block and the faces of the castings where the starter is attached. If
the shop has been "helpful and painted the starter to make it look
pretty, the paint can serve as an insulator.

Also, I assume that you are using a 6 volt battery with 6 volt cables.
Battery cables for 6 volt machinery need to be twice as heave as 12 volt
cables. After you try to start the tractor, feel along the insulation
for "hot" spots or an swelling - a sure indication of high resistance
from corrosion that is fatal to 6 volt cables. The corrosion *usually*
occurs near the ends, but I have seen it happen anywhere in the cable.

Don't feel alone with this problem - most of us who have older tractors
have encountered the same problem at least once (or twice, or, in my
case, many times).

Mike