[AT] Old trains

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 7 10:07:09 PST 2009

charliehill wrote:
>  I think that west bound freight went out
> about 3AM (sometime in the middle of the night).  Just about the time we'd
> all get back to sleep the two pusher engines would wake us back up going
> back to the yard.
There is a story and I have no idea how true it is.  We all know the
difference between a fairy tale adn a sea story, the fairy tale starts
with "Once upon a time" where teh sea story starts with "Now this is no
s....".

A little mining town had a sudden spike in births.  The doctors were
wondering why and some local students did the research.  It was a mining
town where the mines whistle regulated activities.  A whistle blew to
wake up workers and another for start of the shifts and so on.  The
railroad had changed the schedule to have the trains arrive early enough
that freight would be unloaded and ready for the mines at the start of
the day shift.  This was about a half hour before the first whistle of
the day.  The trains at the time used the whistle, so many toots to
apply brakes, so many to say they were backing up, four for a crossing,
etc.  Well the workers were awakened a half hour or so before they
needed to get up and not enough time to go back to sleep so why not roll
over and ........

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU