[AT] BOOO! anyone awake in there?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 5 10:19:09 PST 2009

As Charlie mentioned, getting that old Western plow on my F350 dump
truck was a chore that I never looked forward to. It was so much of a
pain in the butt that I would put it on in December and leave it mounted
until April. One thing that worked for me was to buy a 5' long tapered
bar from Northern. I found that I could use it to align the mounting
holes and slip the pins in somewhat easily. (Northerntool.com and look
for "Truper Hex-Shaft Digging Bar – 5ft.")

The old truck finally became a maintenance nightmare, and after the
brakes failed (again), and the power steering went out (again), and the
frame and body were rotting, I had it hauled away by the salvage yard. I
refused to sell it to anyone, as it was an accident just waiting to happen.

The replacement vehicle is a new 2008 (left over) Toyota Tundra with
Fisher plow - the new plows are set up to be MUCH easier to mount; you
just drive up to them and move a lever to set the pins. Speaking of
which, it has started snowing here a little while ago. Fortunately, the
accumulation is supposed to be minimal, so I don't think I will have to
fuss with the plow (yet).

Mike