[Farmall] 140 Steering Problem

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 18 18:53:17 PDT 2009

 Assuming all tie rod ends and connections are in good shape, welding the
sector and the shaft is a pretty common fix. The parts are so expensive it
is rare to find anyone who will buy them. Sometimes replacing the key will
help as well as making sure the nut is pushing the piece that the tie rods
connect to securely up onto the shaft--it is tapered best as I remember. I
doubt you have a busted bearing as that is usually a sign of one that is
almost impossible to steer. Pretty much the only thing to do is to tear it
apart and see how bad it is (read expensive to fix). I seem to remember you
have to be careful where you weld due to interference with something. We
welded one up for a relative last winter and it has worked well this summer.

John Hall