[AT] @$#@$#% Cub - red engine oil

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Aug 15 17:36:55 PDT 2009

charliehill wrote:
> The time I tried to burn used oil before I just dumped it about 15 or 20% in
> with my #2 oil in the furnace tank.  I let it sit and figured that between
> the settling, dilution and the wool sock filter on the fuel line it would be
> ok but it wasn't.   A few days or weeks later I started having furnace
> problems.  I pulled the pump off of the furnace and it was full of very fine
> black grit that had gotten through the sock filter and the strainer on the
> pump.  I spent the rest of that winter and most of the next trying to keep
> that furnace running until I finally replaced the pump and switched the fuel
> lines.  Problem solved.
>
> Since then I've changed fuel tanks and put a "goldenrod" brand filter like
> you put on a farm fuel transfer pump ahead of the wool sock filter.  If I
> try to burn any more of that stuff I want to be sure I have it cleaned up.
> I don't want to contaminate this system now that I have it clean.
>
> Charlie

That is the nice thing with the rope system. Solids cannot migrate
through it. Only the liquids can. The batch I did started out as a mix
of #2, crankcase oil from a few diesels and cars and some Hytran and
gear oil. All of it had grit and soot in it.

After the rope the oil actually looked almost good enough to put in the
car!

The second system got built because I wanted to do the process faster.

--
Steve W.