[AT] Loader Safety

Dave Johnson webguydave at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 16:40:35 PDT 2009

Well, I agree with just about all that's been said on the subject of running around w/ a front end loader up to the top.  It's even more incredible that an operator would run around on a farm tractor with a load of any kind that way, and as noted by others can and sometimes does end with injurious results.

But there's an exception  (maybe this is where farm tractor operators get the idea); when I set a finish grade on a building pad, driveway parking lot, etc on a construction tractor (skiploader) using a gannon  box on the 3 pt, it's with the _empty_  FEL bucket up in the sky.

It's important to understand that though the machines look pretty much the same, construction skiploaders carry literally tons of extra weight in the rear wheels and tires.  This not only offsets weight in the bucket but provides traction.... and raising the bucket changes the center of gravity (and shifts weight) to the rear.  It makes a _real difference_ in how quickly and accurately you can work with the rear box, not to mention lessoning the chance you're going to run into something w/ the bucket.  I try not to PO the other trades (:<))

Maybe needless to say, most of this type of work is on flat to gently sloping grades; if I'm working contours then I think about every move I make, and adjust either the machine or my approach to make sure 'stuff' doesn't happen....

Like I said, maybe this is how some farm operators come by this habit;  I hope that when they get that _light feeling_ in the seat of their pants and start to pucker, they'll wake up & lower the bucket.  It belongs close to the ground.......

Dave in Sunny Gilroy, CA
Garlic Capital of the World