[AT] Turf vs. ag lug tires (was Re: [SEL] Aussie tractors across the USA

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Aug 4 08:40:58 PDT 2009

I would argue that, in normal mowing on dry ground, slippage has never
been an issue with any of my tractors, nor has there been damage from ag
lugs, except in very soggy ground that I had no business being on in the
first place. I have half a dozen different grass cutting tractors, and
on hard dry ground there is functionally no difference between turf and
ag lug tires, whether on the flats or on steep hills. The wide turf
tires do a little better as far as not sinking into soft/wet ground, but
I agree that they have virtually no traction when going over soft or wet
areas. I use whatever tires the tractor came with, and I would never
bother to change from one type to another.

That is for grass cutting only, where traction is only a very minor
issue. For any other tractor work, ag lugs are the only tires I use.
When I worked at a New Holland dealership, we had charts showing the
amount of slippage from different types of tires (radial, bias ply,
various lug patterns, weights, etc.), but they were all based on the
tractor being used for hard pulling, not mowing lawns. According to
those charts, the most efficient results were obtained from having about
10% slippage, although I never quite understood why.

Mike