[AT] Trailer hitch ball mount: RESOLVED

Dick Day ddss at telebeep.com
Fri Apr 10 15:44:37 PDT 2009

Again, thank you for all of the great ideas and suggestions.

I contacted Draw Tite about the ball mount.  The customer service rep put me
straight through to the engineering department.

I expressed my concern that a., it was made in China, and b., it needed to
be modified to get the ball mounted.

This was (roughly) the response from the engineer:

a. They would prefer to keep manufacturing in house, but to be competitive,
sometimes they must use off-shore facilities.  He said they will send the
specs to the manufacturer's engineers, and they would send prototypes back
for inspection. Once approved, production begins and product eventually
arrives back from China.

He said that every product is individually inspected to make sure it meets
specs before being sold.  In the case of ball mounts, they are tested on
some sort of machine plus visually inspected for defects.  Once through this
process, they have met the same testing that products made in their plant
must meet.  He agreed that "Made in China" does not instill a lot of
confidence, but in the case of  this type of product, he assured me that it
must pass the same testing as their own products.

b. He said that any modification, other than cosmetic, such as painting,
will void their warranty and shift liability to the owner and whoever made
the modification.  Even enlarging the ball shaft hole is considered a
modification.  Even if you re-enforce the product (extra welds, or gussets),
it will void the warranty.

They want this ball mount back in the worst way. He is very concerned that
it was able to get out of the plant without passing inspection.  They are
sending a replacement product as well as a call tag to return the defective
one.

So, those of you who were concerned that modifying it would be a problem,
you were right on!

Thanks again,

Dick