[Farmall] overrun clutch question

Lisa Kelley pippi-longstocking- at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:50:14 PDT 2008

Hey all-

I am not tractor savvy, so excuse if this is a really dumb question ;-)

#1 I just bought a used "Bush Hog Squeeler" pull type mower to run off my 1943 H. I've read  recomendations to use an overrun clutch on the PTO when running these kind of implements on old tractors. The Bush Hogs manual says that it has slip clutch between the connector shaft and the drive housing. Is this going to stop the implement from  driving back down the PTO and running my trans.? Or is it something totally different?

#2 how would I tell if my tractor already has a overrun clutch on it's PTO?

#3 I also got a JD #5 sickle mower -- if i need/get an overrun clutch for the tractor will it effect operating the old sickle bar? ( I  have manual for that  says it has a slip clutch to protect it's shaft to drive mechanism blah blah blah)

#4 if I need to get an overrun clutch for the H- where's a good place to get one?

I have  old famah  neighbors that babysit me and my learning curve with the old H ;-) ....but they don't seem to know anything about this overrun clutch stuff-- they didn't think it was anything to worry about? I haven't run anything yet