[AT] what's out there, NOW favorite pets

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 7 22:33:54 PDT 2008

Cecil,I can remember my last dog on the farm.  Most of our dogs were named
Bud.   I could sic him on most anything and he would tear into them,
mostly barking and a little biting..  He was not big enough to kill much
other than a rabbit.   Infrequently we would have a cow down after calf
birth, Bud would get them up.   He died when I was in the Navy. Herb

to happen (mostly from wandering neighbors)!  I would think now days with
"trex" deck boards a dug well could be covered better than in the past,
with a small deck like structure & put in a pump to water livestock &
gardens.  I don't know what your water district is like (if your close to
the village) but in many communities it pays to have a 2nd water source if
you're doing much outside watering.
> > I had a nice (needing repair) horse drawn cutter (sleigh) and in 1995,
after we moved our 3 story gambrel roof barn, it was struck by lightning &
burned down.  We lost about a century of wooden tools, ladders & equipment.
> > Miniature horses need to be less than 48 inches at the shoulder to be
registered as miniatures (at least that was what the breeder told us).  We
had the farrier trim his hooves but he still was about 1 inch too tall!
> > Our miniature would gain a lot of weight if we let him steal grain or
too much hay in the winter, they are notorious for being escape artists and
getting into places they shouldn't.  Local kids would get into the paddock
& not secure the gate, then about 3:00 AM I would get the call from the
local police.  When you have a 500 pound miniature horse you can't ride him
home (I'm 6' 7" tall) & I didn't have a vehicle large enough to put him in,
so I had several long (3 mile) walks home with the horse after my wife
would drop me off, to some police officer standing in the road holding my
horse.