[AT] 350u steering valve

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 03:29:25 PDT 2008

On 9/6/08, toma <toma at risingnet.net> wrote:

> I went out and looked at mine. It looks like the priority valve is on the
> inside rear. The pressure line comes out of the P valve and the return
> line goes in the drain plug on the left side under the seat.
>
> Tom
====================================

   Our 300U was manual steering... but it was geared down a lot
compared to the N Fords and TO Ferg so it felt about like power
steering to me as a kid. Of course it was maybe a little like steering
the QE2 and it took a steering ball to be able to spin it quickly. We
never cultivated with it but I suspect that it might have lacked
quickness compared to our other tractors. It was a very good tractor
that I liked a lot. Wish it was back...
Some of the young guys are probably asking "what is cultivating"?   :-)
My Super M has Charlynn aftermarket power steering and the S-MTA has a
Behlen unit on it. Both with identical proportioning valves rather
than a separate pump. On those the P-valve just sort of hangs there in
the nest of hoses. There is an input, an output and a smaller bypass
hose that feeds back into the special suction hose "L" fitting at the
hydraulic tank. On both tractors we installed a filter in the return
line out of the power steering unit. On the super M it is a large
regular spin on filter with a pressure gauge to tell you when it needs
changing. The return line is generally not a pressure line so if
pressure starts to build the filter is clogging a little. The S-MTA
has a smaller cast aluminum unit that just has a very fine screen and
a magnet to catch bits. You remove a large plug with a wrench that has
the magnet and that holds the screen in place. We figured that
eventually everything would pass through those filters many times a
day. We picked that line since it was neither pressure or suction.

--
"farmer"

I would not mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net