[Farmall] degreaser/paint remover, SN question

Anthony Flint tony at flintservices.com
Sat Sep 6 17:37:08 PDT 2008

Thought I'd share some success I've had...

My dad and brother make bio-diesel from used cooking oil.  The main
by-product of this process is glycerine.  I'm re-restoring a 1907 Famous 2hp
Pumping Engine and needed to remove the paint with as gentle a
process/product as possible.

30 gallons of glycerine in a plastic barrel worked great and quick.  Parts
soaked for as little as 24hrs, as long as 4 days, came out with grease and
paint softened quite nicely.  Lined the parts up on the driveway and hosed
them down with a pressure washer.  No dust, no wire brushing, no
sandblasting...

And now a question:  I've been trying (without success) to find the serial
number list for this engine ( 2hp vertical).  I seem to remember a bit about
records being destroyed in a fire, but even with that at some point I've
seen a list... any hints?

Thanks!
Tony