[AT] possibly OT scrap prices---Wally gas

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:10:53 PDT 2008

David,  I agree that $5.00 was a bit high but I'm going to defend the
actions of some of the stations on the day of the storm.  The store near my
house went from $3.79 to $4.39 in 1 hour.  He never ran out of gas and
didn't have any lines.  Others in town went up to about $4.  and had lines
out in the street and lots of problems.  It happens that I was working for
an oil jobber that day.  His driver told me that the price at the terminal
that morning jumped to $4.15 wholesale to the jobbers.  That doesn't include
the hauling, the 44 cents of NC and US tax or any overhead or profit.  So
$4.39 really wasn't out of range.  In fact if he hadn't had some gas already
in his tanks he would have been loosing money at that price.  By the end of
the day he had cut his price back to $4.29 and then the next morning to
$4.19.  The folks that kept selling cheap on the storm day sold out and then
were selling at about $4.20 or so when they got another load.

I think that the guys that raised the prices helped to stop the panic buying
and made it possible for folks that have to have gas on a daily basis to
still get some instead of having all of it packed in the tanks of old ladies
who don't burn a tank a month.

>From what I hear the reason that some stations here in eastern NC don't have
gas today isn't because they can't get it but because they don't have a
contract price locked in and can't compete with the guys that do.    They
don't want to pay $4.00 + and put it in their tanks to sit there while their
competitors sell at $3.60.  That is what the folks at Sheetz stores told our
local news folks concerning their new store in Greenville NC.

Charlie