[AT] Bush hog needed for the '51 McCormick

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 27 14:37:46 PDT 2008

A former neighbor used to "brush hog" his sheep pastures with a
pull-behind cutter powered by his JD MT. The only time he had a problem
was when he managed to "jackknife" the rig (he wasn't the most skilled
operator in the county, but a long shot. Then he would have to drop the
cutter and use a chain to pull it back. I think that if you don't have a
lot of tricky corners or have to do much backing up, that would be your
best bet.

I have a couple of sickle bar cutters that I use for trimming the
shoulders of the lane  and around ponds, but I wouldn't use them field
cutting. To do a decent job, they require a lot of maintenance, spare
sections (blades) a rivet tool, spare guards, etc. In other words,
except for their ability to reach out and cut where the tractor can't
reach otherwise, they are a pain in the butt. That's just my opinion, of
course, and other will probably differ.

Mike