[AT] Fw: Chainsaw Ramblings - now chainsaw pruning poles

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Oct 21 08:57:52 PDT 2008

I used to mow a field/pasture for an elderly lady.  I guess it was 10 acres
or so.  Maybe a little bigger.  She didn't call me for about 3 years.  I
wondered why but that's how it goes sometimes.  Anyway she called one day
and explained that she had been injured and had been down in bed for a long
time and that the pasture was out of control.  I went and tried to cut it
but it had grown up in clusters of sweet gum trees with several trees 1" or
larger in diameter all in a clump of 4 to 6 or so.  Plus there sere some 7
foot or so high pine saplings and briars, brambles, etc.  I coudn't even
pretend to cut it.  It would have torn my tractor to bits.  She had been
paying $200 to mow it once a year and that was cheap considering the way it
would grow up.  I told her the best thing I could do for her was to get the
guy with the hydro ax.  He charged $100 an hour (probably 10 years ago) with
a $500 minimum.  Well she agreed to that.   The guy came out, mowed all of
the land right down to the dirt, cut all of the ditch banks and took down
several trees along the ditch banks.  Some were as big as 1 foot in
diameter.  He was gone in less than 4 hours.

I thought I wanted one of them until he told me the blades for that thing
cost over $1000.00 each.

Charlie