[AT] overheating combine update

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 13 18:42:34 PDT 2008

 ack I June I was having problems with the combine overheating. All common
sense stuff like being full of fluid and a clean radiator and tight fan
belts were promptly checked out. Someone suggested flushing the system and
changing the thermostat. Sounded like a good idea to me. When I opened it up
to change the thermostat I found a piece of sheet metal hung in the
thermostat that was keeping it from closing. The piece of sheet meat was in
good condition and labeled with the name American Standard. The only thing I
can figure is someone tried wedging this thing in the thermostat to keep it
from shutting so it would run cooler (I guess drilling a small hole was too
complicated). I am wondering did this piece somehow jam the old thermostat
so that it wasn't opening all the way. The strange part is I have had the
combine for 15 +/- years so it must have been this way for a while. Sure
glad it didn't go through the water pump!

John Hall