[AT] Some ads from the 11/22 Lancaster Farming

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Nov 23 04:46:26 PST 2008

Larry Goss wrote:
> Steve, I won't argue about it, but the last I knew a fly net covered
> the whole body of the horse.
>
> It wasn't always possible for poor farmers to buy or afford a matched
> team, so spreaders were often used when the horses were mismatched by
> size or when one horse was ill and couldn't pull its share of the
> load.
>
> Larry

I probably just learned it wrong. I was taught that a fly net was the
headpiece, the one you refer to we called a fly blanket.
Not a big thing. Unless you're the horse.

Spreaders around here were pin adjustable for that reason. Also to allow
for items that tended to pull to one side (like a sickle bar) by
adjusting the spreader you could lessen the side load on the team and
make it easier for them to pull straight.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York