[AT] Fuel cans and dispensing - ideas requested

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 19:20:20 PST 2008

I have a 55 gallon truck tank with a regular 12 volt pump from TSC but
I haven't been using it now that I retired from grain farming. I might
though buy up a batch of gas when it gets down to a $1 a gallon...
;-)
I also built a smaller fueling tank some years ago and I have been
thinking of putting a new hose on it and putting it back in service,
mostly for mowing. It is built with a 100# LP tank sitting horizontal.
It will hold about 25 to 27 gallons or so (I forget exactly). I put a
vertical 3/4" pipe in the side (now the top) with a couple of welded
on braces. That pipe sits about 1/4" up from the bottom and sticks up
about 16" above the tank. It has a big filter mounted and then the
hose and of course a hand nozzle. Also in the top (the top with the
tank on its side) is a 1 1/4" pipe nipple welded in place with a pipe
cap that screws on to it. The cap has a crank like handle welded on to
it so you can tighten and loosen it without tools. That is the filler.
There is a bracket welded to the bottom as legs to keep it from
rolling over even in a hard turn with the truck. On the top is a
pressure gauge and a air valve stem (actually a plumbing fitting not a
tire stem, commonly called a snifter valve in plumbing)  Next to that
is a brass valve like is used to drain a radiator etc. The stem, valve
and gauge are in drilled and tapped holes. NOTE... Fill the tank with
water to cut, weld or drill...  A pipe plug replaces the regular LP
valve.
I plop it in the back of the truck and fill it at the station and
close the cap tightly and make sure the brass valve is shut. At home I
put about 20 PSI of air in it and usually also have a portable air
tank filled and sitting in the truck. I had a red line (highly
sophisticated red nail polish) on the gauge at the 20 PSI mark.
IT IS AN IRON CLAD RULE TO ***N E V E R*** TAKE THE VEHICLE OUT ON THE
ROAD WITH THE TANK UNDER PRESSURE. That is what the brass valve is
for, bleeding off the pressure. You don't really need to have gas
under pressure spewing out in case of a wreck.
Never hook up a battery air compressor near the tank... If you need to
use a 12 volt air compressor do it out in front of the truck and fill
a portable air tank.
I used it for years and it worked extremely well. It was just a little
small for tractors with fuel tanks around 35 gallons. I bought the
filter and hose new, I had everything else. I didn't need a lot of
capacity since I sit within 2 miles of several stations. One of which
is selling regular unleaded for $1.89.9 today...

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)