[AT] Auto parts guys

The Allen Family steveallen855 at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 2 19:58:22 PST 2008

About fifteen years ago, I walked in to a parts house in Lawrence, Kansas,
needing a clutch for my '69 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 V8 pickup.  I asked the young
fellow behind the counter for a 12" Borg & Beck 3-finger clutch for a Chevy
V-8.  Somewhat nonplussed, he asked what the parts were for.  I told him,
and he dutifully looked in his computer to find that the truck didn't come
with one, so he was not going to sell me what I wanted, as it wouldn't fit.
I told him that it most certainly would fit as I laid the 12" B & B I has
just taken out of the truck on the counter for exchange.  The fact that I
had just removed one impressed him not at all:  no way was he going to sell
me one because his computer didn't list it.  Fortunately for their till that
day, an older fellow walked over and asked what the trouble was just as I
gathered my used parts up to leave.  When I explained, the older fellow
looked at the younger one and recited the part number from memory and sent
him to fetch it.

I really didn't hold the ignorance against the younger guy; I did, however,
object to his unwillingness to look beyond his computer.

The "original" Steve Allen