[AT] Auto parts guys

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 2 07:49:07 PST 2008

Several years ago I went NAPA to buy some points for a SAAB.  They did not
have any in stock.  I knew that SAAB used the same points of I think some
model of VW so I asked for the VW points.  The person behind the counter
started telling me that there was no way VW parts fit a SAAB.  That is when
the older guy stepped in and got me the points.

The store had recently changed hands.  The previous owner had opened the
store in 1946 and raided three daughters in that store.  I could go in and
ask for points for my 64 Ford van and they did not look at the parts book
except for prices.  They knew parts.  They all went to college from that
store and when the last one graduated the store was sold.

My son started in the parts business many years ago.  He had a lot of
knowledge from my shop but there was a lot to learn.  He loved getting
strange requests because it gave him a chance to learn.  He also called me
several times asking about stuff.

I will try to collect some stories from him for the list.

Don Bowen  KI6DIU