[AT] Reharvestconditions

Edchainsaw at aol.com Edchainsaw at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 18:56:13 PST 2008

back about  7 yrs or so ago   we had a   November  Gale come threw  and  all
but  totally flatten  260acres  of  our bottom land  and  a  bit of  the
upland.   the ground was wet and we were rutting as well as trying to find the rows
in  the  tangled mess.

First thing we tried was  buying a newer - poly corn  head...   at $40,000
well that helped just a tad..
then we tried picking one direction and  that didn't do much.
we then got the old  Massey 760 and six row head out  and   bought a
Kelderman reel for it.    and  tried  that.. it helped.   then drove  one direction.

the corn was stout yet and  the  roots were still covered with  the  sand
from our bottom ground.   After about  2 days of  this  the unloading auger on
the combine  gave out, wore to  a  frazzel.    if you know the old massey system
you know they have  saddle bags-- and holes at the bottom of that so we took
a  new auger to  the field  and drove the  combine over  the  hopper to
unload the combine into  the wagons.

after 3 more days of this  we  thought we were done ...  the  augers
flighting was  shot,  the inside of the 760 is   shot  and  we have a  reel we aint
used  since...      we know we left over  20bushel /a    it still averaged
180b/a     even with that  loss  we have not  had any field yield  180b/a
since..

but  I have one  fall I remember  worse...  1985---  that's such a long story
  but  on Nov 1 we had 500 to pick. and  when the  first hurricane  remnants
hit up here   the next  week  we still had\ 400  then thanksgiving day  we had
 5in  of rain.  Dad fell  on Nov 5th   and  tore  his rotor cuff,  it was one
hard winter  but  like  everyone's said   We  GOT it done the best we could.

In a message dated 11/26/2008 12:03:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,