[Farmall] O-12 parts

Mark Peters mspeters at tds.net
Wed Nov 26 06:49:30 PST 2008

Hi Mike and all,I`m not off the list ,I just lurk most of the time. Just so happens I`m on a week layoff from my patternmakers job at the Iron Works and have some time to sit at my laptop!
   Chris has hit on most of what I would have said. We usually figure 1% shrink on cast iron ( .010 shrink per inch, .120 shrink per foot). Aluminum is what Chris said (1/4" shrink per foot). One thing to keep in mind is the need for a core for internal passages if there are any. I`m not familiar with the O-12 air cleaner. If it is just a bowl shape it can be totally made in "green sand" with no core needed. However, if it has a pipe type configuration(a bore of some sort ), a core box would be needed to be make a core.The core box is basically a pattern of the inside of the casting.Sand is sqeezed or blown into the box and left to harden a length of time based on what type of core sand and hardener is used.Core is then set into the "green sand" mold and when the metal is poured,the core will form the inside wall of the casting. What I`m getting at is it will be more costly if there are core boxes involved. Sorry if this is confusing, I`m not very good at explaining this stuff. It`s MUCH easier with pictures! Mark
  P.S. For simple solid castings, I have used the original casting and depending on size , added tape of some sort or a sheet wax with an adhesive backing (to make up for the shrink). This saves much time and $$$$ !