[AT] OT: keyless drill chuck

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Fri May 16 09:59:04 PDT 2008

I think I'm turning into the Red Green of Visegrips.

Your standard most common hardware store Visegrips have
a curved section of the jaws that nicely fits around a Ryobi
keyless chuck, a lot better than a straight bench vise does.
Wrapping around the chuck reduces the chance of damaging it.

In a desperate case, there is a knurled section behind the chuck
so you can put 2 opposing Visegrips on it. Really looks
like the chuck was designed for use with Visegrips

Had a weird one the other day, a paddle bit with the 3 flats got
jammed in the chuck of a  Ryobi drill so we couldn't get it out.
2 Visegrips got it, no damage to the chuck.
Just don't tighten the jaws too far.

I believe in fine tools for fine cabinetmaking, but for what we mostly do,
we buy Ryobi, use them up, and then buy new ones.
Actually, they last quite a while before they get unusable.

Dave Merchant