[AT] OT: keyless drill chuck

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri May 16 04:35:19 PDT 2008

	Trying to catch up on messages...
	I have a pair or 1/2" Ryobi 18V drills and a 12V 3/8" DeWalt. I have
very little trouble with slipping but I tighten them the way you are not
supposed to...   :-)   With the drill in high gear I back the chuck
fairly open so that it has room for a running start, set it back to
forward and hold the chuck ring tightly in one hand and hit the trigger
so it spins down and pretty much slams against the bit. I have several
sets of woodworking spade bits that have hex shanks and I love them. On
round shank bits used in metal working when they get burrs on the shank
a quick pass on the 1"x42" belt grinder keeps them going back in the
rack. The funny thing is that after being ground smooth again they seem
to slip less. I guess it is the rougher surface that the grinding leaves
than the original factory smooth surface.
	I have thought about setting up some kind of jig to grind three flats
on each bit. Like I said, I have "thought" about it. It hasn't happened
	A bit of lube inside of the chuck between the sleeve and the back of
the jaws seems to help it tighten better.

--

"farmer"

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
   -- Charles Duell, Commissioner of US Patent Office, 1899

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)