[AT] Allis Chalmer B

William Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Sat May 3 19:30:38 PDT 2008

Ok, great news that you are moving forward with manual and starter
rebuild... You are eliminating the variables.

I always like to ground a plug on the frame, run a spark plug wire to it,
then I can turn the starter and watch if it sparks. I do hold spark plug
wires sometimes by hand but I always get nervous, been jolted more times
than I like to admit... I do hold the wire out on my plugs when one starts
to foul, I believe the increase in distance builds up the voltage and
sometimes gets a plug to fire... Since it's a distributor make sure you have
12 volts going to the coil and voltage going to the points.

Tom, on engines that won't start or have not started in a while I always
take spark the plug(s) out, then get some motor oil in a squirt can and two
or three squirts down the hole. My grandfather taught me that, he was a good
with engines, he used to rebuild model T's. Anyway, what it does is build up
the compression. You would think that it would make the power stroke less
likely, but it's the opposite that happens.....

Also if there is a drain plug in the bottom of the carb you may want to open
it and see what comes out, capture it in a can. If clean gas comes out
that's good, if nothing comes out, there is a problem.. If water comes out,
then you may have a clogged jet.... I usually try some ether to see if it
will fire off at all, if it runs for about a second or two with the ether
and wont keep going I know I have a fuel/carb issue....

You should not have to run your battery down spinning the engine to start
it... If its 12 volt it is spinning plenty fast to start it... On my C if
everything is right, I can start it with 1/4 of a turn with the hand crank.

You need to check everything and be sure everything is "right". It's a four
stroke engine, what is going wrong with the 4 strokes? Is it getting gas, is
the gas clean and fresh, is it getting spark, is the spark at the right
time, is it getting compression.... If all those things are good it should
fire right up....

Regards,

Will Powell (PA)