[AT] respirators and Isocyanates (Urethane paint)

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Mar 24 14:40:58 PDT 2008

Hi John:

	Personally I think this discussion took a wrong turn somewhere and is
now caught in a "compressor rut"... Why would you want to move breathing
air with a compressor? This is painting not SCUBA diving. Would you move
air in your furnace with a compressor? You don't need pressure, you do
need a little volume. You certainly don't need compressor noise in your
ears.
	I have looked at this stuff for some time for painting and wood lathe
use both. You want to use the KISS system on this stuff or have a lot of
$$$$. I have a small 140 CFM squirrel cage blower (about like this)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2C915
  that I want to use to pull air from completely outside of the area
where fumes or dust are and maybe have its inlet fed by a hose who's end
is "well" out of the area. The inlet hose could be simply cheap black
polyethylene corrugated drain tile (the unslotted kind), 3" or 4" inch
either one should work. Put some kind of screen on the intake, you don't
want a freshly blown yellow jacket in your helmet with you...
:-)
Go buy a yard-sale motorcycle helmet with a front shield and drill a
mounting hole for the feed hose in the back so that the air will be
pushed up over the top and sides of your head and will of course exit
mostly out the lower front. The feed from the blower to the helmet could
be light weight common plastic vacuum cleaner hose. You can buy it as
replacement hose for central vacs in longer lengths. Don't buy the heavy
stuff, the really light stuff will work fine and be much easier to manage.
	The part that requires being a little creative is the attachment of the
hose to the helmet. You don't want it sticking straight out the back and
pulling on you while you work.
	Pick a helmet that has a front lens that you can walk in about anywhere
and buy off of the shelf. You will need to replace it now and then.
Don't buy the helmet too small you want a little room and you probably
won't crash while painting anyway...
:-)
	That is my version of a low cost system...

--

"farmer"

I now have one more email list - "Budget_Solar"