[AT] respirators and Isocyanates (Urethane paint)

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Mar 23 22:39:13 PDT 2008

John Wilkens wrote:
> Yeah, I've been thinking about doing something like that.  Trick is
> keeping that dust down.  Gotta get those strong fumes away from me
> though!   John

Well since you don't have a fancy spray booth, you could make a
temporary booth pretty easy.
Figure out a space large enough to do your painting. Now rig up a set of
cables around that area. Then go buy some heavy duty clear plastic and
some grommets. Make up some large curtains out of the plastic and string
them up on the cables like a big shower curtain. Now on one side your
going to make a frame out of 2X2 (or what ever). That frame will get
attached to the plastic and it will hold a bunch of the cheap furnace
filters. More is better. On the other side your going to make another
frame to hold a couple large SLOW fans or you can use the cheap box fans
with a router speed control to slow them down. This you want aimed so it
vents outdoors. Now for you inside get a decent Air Supplied Respirator
and you now have a booth that you can set up and take down as needed. I
spent a total of 50 bucks on the first one I built.
Of course you could also build a booth out of the clear PVC panels and
use it as a greenhouse to start your garden...

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter,EMT