[AT] 97 Dodge Speedo

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Mar 17 09:17:12 PDT 2008

Dennis Johnson wrote:
> It seems like several from the list have Dodge P/U's. I have changed
> my transmission, and the replacement one did not have a speedo
> pick-up on it. I think the truck has had some parts changed before,
> and I do now know what is original.  The transmission place told me
> that the 97's use some sensor on the rear axle. Do any of you know
> how the speedometer is supposed to connect?? I think what I had was
> somehow modified, and would like to properly connect it.  I need to
> have some clue of what "standard" is supposed to be, and how the
> wires connect.
>
> Thanks, Dennis

97 would have an electronic speedometer. They use a couple different
sensors depending on which transmission you have. If it's a 42RE, 46RE
or 47RE automatic it has a control sensor on the transmission. But the
speed sensor for the speedo is still on the rear differential, it
provides the signal for the speedo and for the ABS system.

--
Steve Williams
Firefighter,EMT