[AT] JD 318 head bolts

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Mar 7 09:14:21 PST 2008

Removing a broken drill or tap in nonferrus metals (brass - aluminum,etc.)

At most any grocery store, buy a box of alum. Select a glass or ceramic
container (made for stove top use) or an aluminum pot large enough to
place your
part in so it can be submerged in water.

Remove the part and bring the water up to just below the boiling point
of the water.

Add alum until no more will disolve, then place your part in the
solution. Keep the solution
at a simmer and you will soon observe a trail of tiny bubbles coming
from the broken
drill/tap. Keep the solution at a simmer and add water as needed as long
as the trail of
bubbles continue.

When the bubbles stop, remove the part and let cool for inspection. You
should discover
that the steel drill or tap has turned to a rusty mud which is easily
removed
from the hole.

--
Steve W.