[Farmall] It's Battery Time

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 19:00:52 PDT 2008

Hi All

I've got a Farmall Cub that I got from my father in law some 10 years
ago. At some stage prior to that he had converted it to 12 volts, and
it came with a 12 volt battery of at that time unknown to me age. It
had a 12 volt coil and regulator mounted up under the hood over the
engine to deal with the 12 volts, and a 12 volt generator added, which
hasn't worked in forever since whatever it was he and my brother in
law put on, the pulley didn't line up correctly, so the belt wouldn't
stay on.

Amazingly that battery has had the bad manners to now fail on me
completely - despite me charging it every now and then so I could run
the tractor from it LOL

I have what I "think" is the original generator for it - I found it in
his barn a while ago while looking around (he's passed on so I can't
ask him if it's the right one). It has some red paint on it, and an
oval label with

Delco Remy
1101355 9F29

on the plate, but I don't have a 6 volt generator, or coil, and am not
sure of the condition of the magneto at all should that be put back
into service either. I guess right now all it's used for is to
distribute the spark

I also don't know what damage 12 volts making that starter motor fly
around might have done to it.

So, the question I guess is, should I just take the easy way out and
go buy a new 12 volt battery and put it in and carry on as before

or

should I get a 6 volt battery and then try to make it all work with
the generator I have, after getting a regulator, and hoping the
magneto is OK, and that the starter hasn't been too wounded by the
extra juice it's been getting.

The tractor is used for occasional work around our 3.3 acre property -
either pulling a trailer, or using the amazing belly mounted blade, or
occasionally the cultivator set I have for it to loosen up some
ground. It's not intended for show - at least at this stage of my
life, so it doesn't have to "be correct".

Having just looked at Wenger's web site I'm thinking that the 12 volt
battery is certainly the easiest thing, and will also by far be the
cheapest thing - along with perhaps a concerted effort to get a
generator belt to stay on by getting the pulleys lined up better so
the new belt I've got will stay on, and perhaps charge the system
somewhat while I use it.

Appreciate any thoughts on this

Cheers to All

Roger