[AT] Got to be NC Festival pictures

Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois USA gwaugh at wowway.com
Tue Jun 10 18:54:50 PDT 2008

I really enjoyed the thread, Al.  Our family lived in the Raleigh for a
number of years---47 or 48 to 1955.  We had an ol boy next door to us
with a smoke barn, lots of sticks!  We even got to see him make the
plunge from strictly mules to...what was it?...a JF M, I think.  At this
time, we lived out east of Raleigh, went to school in Apex.

And my grandad in Indiana had an IH combine similar to the one
shown---except it was PTO powered.  Got my boot toe stuck in the bin
elevator one time, while kicking oats down.  Dang teenager couldn't use
the broom that was carried for that purpose!!!  I remember being so glad
it was driven by V-belt & idler pulley rather than chain & sprocket!!!

Dad was Head of the Animal Husbandry Dept, and I spent many days at the
NC State Fair as a kid---this is about the only thing I remember getting
out of school for!!  Not the fairway, but the stock buildings,
machinery, etc.  Is the Cow Palace still there?

/--
Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville /