[AT] Melting it all down.(copper is the new gold)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 19 14:16:36 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at suddenlink.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Melting it all down.(copper is the new gold)

> Rob one thing that folks don't understand is that there is danger in being
> on someones farm. .
> They also left their trash.

This has been an interesting thread and I can agree with you Charlie, its
dangerous out there to the uninformed. That nice green field of wheat or
yellow canola that looks so inviting might have just been sprayed with a
powerful insecticide. It happens that I don't spray my crops with it but
many around here do and its not safe to enter those fields for a while after
spraying.
Re: the trash situation, I never realized what careless slobs some people
are til I started working my uncles farm in 02. Its beside a major highway
and I see no end of paper and plastic garbage blown from the highway ditches
into the fields and bushes on the farm. I thought today's generation was
supposed to be so environmentally conscious and friendly but from the amount
of garbage they throw out of their vehicles, I can't see it. I'm well over
50 and even I was always taught as a kid, "don't be a litterbug" and the
message got through to me.
We have a no trespassing sign at the entrance to that farm but it seems many
people don't see or respect it as I often find tracks and other signs of
human activity there.
Snowmobilers really enjoy the nice layer of snow that all the bush on that
land accumulates in winter and they never think to ask permission or clean
up their stakes and markers left over after poker derbies. I guess  I can't
complain too much though as there has been nothing stolen yet.
There are a few that will ask permission to pick berries or hunt deer and we
generally don't have a problem with that. Its the ones that assume we don't
mind that are the problem.