[AJD] Restoration milestone

Michael Scholl buck69_hunter at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 18 07:07:34 PDT 2008

Over the weekend I celebrated by 57th birthday by starting B5201. To the
best of my knowledge, the tractor has spent its entire life (since leaving
Waterloo) in East Central Minnesota.  This tractor was co-purchased used for
$1000 in 1946 by my wife's grandfather and her uncle.  It's been in the
family ever since, but from the early '90s until January of last year it sat
in a shed collecting dust.

The tractor had been (ab)used considerably over its 70+ years and required
numerous replacement parts through the course of the restoration (to-date).
Although it is still quite a way from being complete, I felt that it was
time to start it and check for leaks.  After setting the IDLE and LOAD
screws to where they had been before disassembly, and rigging a temporary (1
pint) fuel tank, she fired off and was running after just a few revs of the
flywheel.

You can imagine my delight when it started!  The only detectable leaks were
a small fuel leak caused by the fuel bowl nut which needed to be tightened,
and a coolant leak caused by a hose clamp with stripped threads.

I still have a long ways to go as the rear wheels are still in a state of
shock, With me somewhere close behind, not knowing whether I will try to
salvage or replace them.

I'd especially like to thank Donnie and Melanie Sharp of Sharp's Antique
Tractor Works in Fairgrove, MO for helping me get this far and having the
parts that I needed, when I needed them and fixing those which were fixable.

Regards,
Mike Scholl
JD B5201