[AT] GO Tractor Manufacturing

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 18:57:21 PDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Ken Hough wrote:

> Guys
> My wife... received an inquiry about one of our countys deceased
> tractor collectors. Clyde Johnson of Valparaiso IN, Porter County IN.
> Clyde passed away early in 1997 and the auction was held April of
> 97. The inquiry was about a GO tractor. GO being the manufacturers
> name. Does anyone recognize the name?

A google search for "GO Tractor" turns up this one link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4303/is_200210/ai_n15014723

showing only the start of an article in Farm Collector,  October,
2002  entitled:
"  'GO' tractor shown in 1920s photographs. (Letters to the Editor)."
The text is:
I recently found a couple of family pictures that include the General
Ordnance tractor that I think was my dad's first tractor. The
photographs probably were taken about 1925. That good-looking kid
standing by the wheel is me, and I was born in 1922, so I probably was
4 or 5 there; I'm 80 now. The other two ...

and there follows an invitation to subscribe to the article service...
"Read the rest of this article with a Free Trial at HighBeam Research."

A search for "General Ordnance Tractor" finds this
at Gas Engine Magazine:
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/archiveindex/1967/
"OUR COLLECTION
A Go Gas Tractor, made by the General Ordinance Company in 1919"
the link at "OUR COLLECTION" leads to this:

"OUR COLLECTION
By Nello Mungai
R.D. 1, Hickory, Pa. 15340

I thought that you and your readers would be interested in my
collection. I am enclosing a photo of it. The one on the left is a
1923 Farmall Regular gas tractor, in the middle is a 1928 Chevrolet
one ton truck and on the right is a 1929 four-wheel drive Massey-
Harris tractor.

My sons Bill, Robert, and Bruce show a great deal of interest in these
and have been a great help in restoring them to good running
condition. The oldest boy Bill does the painting. When it came time to
paint the Massey-Harris tractor it was getting near show time, and we
had been trying to find out what the original color of this tractor
was, as the time was late he went ahead and painted it-- on his own,
he decided it should be red, since this is a Farmall farm, and for
contrast added a generous amount of yellow. The secretary of the Tri-
State Hist...
783 of 2205 characters shown.

To access the full article you must have Gas Engine Magazine: The
Complete Archives on compact disk."

(There is no mention of the GO tractor in this part of the article.)

Hope this helps.

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd