[AT] Subject: Re: Portland Info/ash trees

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 14:02:00 PDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:12 AM, charlie hill wrote:

> When I was a kid there were little bushes around here that we called
> Chinquapins.  ...  Later on I
> realized they probably were some sort of Chestnut  and I guess they
> are all
> gone now.

Charlie and others,

I may not have any of this right, but:
I think the chestnut blight hit New England prior to 1950.  That's
when my family moved to rural New England and I became aware that
there weren't any left.  ("Horse Chestnuts", yes.)

As I understand it, there are some american chestnuts growing now.
Maybe they were resistant strains, or they've been developed or
encouraged since.  But of course those of us living now will never see
the really old ones that were standing in the 40's.

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd
Lovettsville, VA 20180