[AT] Ford 3000

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 14:42:47 PDT 2008

I will tell you what I know, but others may know more. The 3000 was
built from 1965-76 (or maybe '75), The serial number is located on the
upper front corner of the transmission housing and not easy to find.

The tractor generally is a reliable machine, but some folks are very
leery of the SOS transmission - when they work, they work very well;
when there are problems, you have serious problems. Later SOS
transmissions were better than the early ones.

As far as the hydraulic lift, I suggest you pick up a service manual for
the tractor and work through the hydraulic section - I agree that it
sounds like a valve may be stuck or have some crud in it.

Ford made a couple of different gas and diesel three cylinder engines
for the 3000. Around here it is hard to sell a 2WD gas tractor for much
more than $2500, especially with gas prices the way they are. If it is
diesel, you might get up to $3500 (with the hydraulics fixed). If you do
find the serial number (it will start with a "C" followed by six
digits), I have the list of serial numbers/years.

Mike