[Farmall] rust paint for my trailer - Rust Bullet

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 20 12:53:41 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

I am not familiar with the product you mention.  I do use Rust-olium
rusty metal primer om just about anything metal unless the paint is
solid with no rust.  But if the paint was that good, why would it need a
re-paint?  The manufacturer says to use Rusty metal primer only on
heavily rusted surfaces.  I use it on any mix or rust, paint, and bare
metal and it holds up like iron.  I pressure wash off any loose paint or
rust scale, then wire brush any areas that didn't come clean.  I do one
coat of the primer if brushed, sometimes two coats if sprayed.  When it
is well dried, I paint it over with desired color of rust-olium oil
based paint.

I did a snowmobile trailer this way around 1978.  It was out in the
weather all of the years since and parked in the weeds for the last 8 or
10.  Being in need of a trailer that size, I decided to pull it out and
look it over in 2006.  The paint was pretty peeled.  40 or 50 % gone.
The primer and the metal underneath the primer were solid, and most of
that metal is only tin.  Pressure washed h_ll out of it, did minimal
brushing and scratching and gave it two more coats of the primer, then
painted with Regal Red.  It is still working and looking good.

Disclaimer.  I have no interest in the above mentioned company, but the
results make me a believer.  If you would like any pictures of the
trailer, drop me an e-mail off list and I will send some out.

Charlie V in WNY