[AT] Melting it all down.(copper is the new gold)

William Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 05:33:17 PDT 2008

We have a about 100 acres in upstate NY that was passed down through our
family for about 100 years. It was the summer pasture from my Aunts farm. My
father stayed on the farm with Allis Chalmers equipment (C, WC) through the
40's every summer. My great uncles would take the cows their in the summer.
Anyway, my grandfather built a hunting cabin on the summer field. My father
bought an 8n in 1978, the first in our collection and the beginning of my
tractor obsession.

The land was well suited for huckleberries (a small tart blueberry) and they
sprung up everywhere. Other farms that were let go (and there were many)
also had many blueberry's. The other farms are now woods, no more
blueberries....

Our field was starting to get taken over by the woods. I hopped on the 8n
and would cut for weeks every summer. So, in time we were the only place
around with blueberries. (amazing picture from google satellite images, a
sea or woods, and then our property... Though, every summer we would come
for vacation and not much was on the bushes.

Then we were talking to a bartender (our friend) at a local bar and she was
telling us how one of her customers was bragging about the 10 gallons of
berries she picked at the secret spot she found (our property). Gee, not
just enough for a pie, but 10 gallons! Our property is about 1 mile off of
the main dirt road...

So, the land now is in a trust owned by myself, my brother, and my two
sisters (Another story..). Anyway, my sister, who is no stranger to a
confrontation is riding her four wheeler down the main dirt road from our
property last year and spots 4 people with two buckets of Tupperware under
their arms walking up toward our road last year. She stopped and asked if
they were going to our property. They said yes. My sister said that our
Stepmother has been up there to pick and nothing was left, so, she would
rather they would not pick. So that was that. We did not even know these
people.

As far as metal, the place is 300 miles away, would not be surprised if
someone started walking with our implements...