[AT] Tractor Test Report: McCormick Super W-4

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 20:55:56 PDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 11:06 PM, Larry Goss wrote:

> Humm.  Thanks for posting that URL, Roy.  That's the first time I
> remember looking at a complete Nebraska test.

Larry,

After finding that report via Google, I noodled around that web site:
it turns out that the report does NOT show up on the site's search
(for "W-4") or list of McCormick test reports!

I have only seen this 1950 W-4 once or twice. We close on the house
next week, so I'll have more to report, and a lot to ask about, after
that.  It is quite in need of de-rusting and paint.  There are
certainly some hydraulic seals that aren't doing too well.  But the
owner reports that it runs well.  It's been on his property (19 acres
or so) for 30 years, so it was not used to farm 300 acres since new!

  It seems to be about 30 HP max.  The thing has a plow rig bolted
onto it, and does have hydraulics and a PTO.  The pictures I took do
not show the area of the belt drive much at all, so I don't know if
that is present or not - I think its been removed to fit the plow
frame.  We don't have a wood lot, so I won't be needing a saw, but I
could very well hook a generator to the thing to be ready in case the
power quits.

>  I'm used to seeing the condensed version of them ...
> In some ways, it's like reading a Reader's Digest Condensed Book.  :-)

The page I showed has an explanation of all the tests and conditions.

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd
Lovettsville, VA 20180
k1lky at earthlink.net