[AT] JD 60/ PTO Spreader

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Fri Jul 18 17:44:44 PDT 2008

Farmer,

The earlier 1953 JD 60's didn't have a factory three point but later in the fall
of 1953 JD did offer the 800 Series hitches as dealer installed items. They were
a Category II three point setup that had two upper arms with a cross member
(Evener Bar) between them for a top link setup. The Evener Bar required an
adapter (18 different JD versions on the three point implement), some were quasi
universal that could adapt almost any three point implement to work on the 60
with 800 series hitches. Another way was to just remove the "Evener Bar" and run
a steel pin through the two upper links with the upper mast brackets of the
implement between the two.  Worked quite well.  The first version was a model
800 hitch which did not offer draft and depth control so a gauge wheel was
required on the implement.  Later in 1955 offered an 800A hitch which replaced
the 800 version and then also offered a 801 version of the hitch which did offer
draft and depth control through a rather ingenious mechanical system. 40%
improvement in traction. It wasn't until the fall of 1956, when the 1957 20
series models (620 replaced the 60) came out that JD had a full hydraulic, top
link active, three point with full draft and depth control. The JD 40 which came
out in 1953 did have a complete factory Cat I three point hitch with hydraulic
full depth and draft control. The Ferguson Patent became a non-issue in 1953
when Ferguson settled his law suit over Fords use of the Ferguson System three
point system on the 8N W/O compensation. Ferguson settled for something like a
$10 Million payment which then opened the door for other manufacturers to use
similar three point systems. There was some question at the time whether 3-point
hitches were really needed on the bigger row crop tractors at the time since
they were so much heavier in the rear. During this period many different hitches
were offered to the market by various manufacturers such as I/H's two point
system, the Case Eagle Hitch, etc however, they required proprietary implements.
But the farmers wanted universal three point hitches compatible with all three
point implements. JD's version of the Cat II universal three point hitch became
the industry standard for that type of hitch and all the rest of the
manufacturers followed with universal Cat II three point hitches for the larger
tractors and I think it was in 1958 that ASAE established a standard. Now there
are Cat I, II, III and IV versions of the hitch and maybe more.  There was a
limit though of how big an implement one wanted to hang off the back of a
tractor no matter how big the tractor was so semi-integral implements were
offered that allowed a three point hitch hook-up but also a tail wheel that
supported the rear of the implement during transit.

I consider the Ferguson System Patented three point set-up one of the most
significant inventions in agriculture equipment history. Without the use of this
on the Ford 9N, 2N or 8N, Ford would have never had the huge success in the
tractor market they had. Ford was eating everybody's lunch in the small tractor
market until other manufacturers started using the conventional three point
hitch on the smaller tractors. Same concept still used on tractors today, 55 -
80 years later.  The original Ferguson System Patents go back into the 20's. A
very profound and important invention.

Dean Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA

If we take the time to count our blessings we don't have time to complain.