[AT] little ot maybe gooseneck hitch

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Jul 15 20:04:17 PDT 2008

Lew Best wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Been a long time since I had a gooseneck trailer; need to mount a hitch
> in my truck bed for one now.  Got a fold-down hitch at a yard sale;
> factory mounting brackets priced outa this world!  Local place wants
> “about 400-500 bux” to build the mount & install it.  I got a pic of the
> factory mounting kit; looks easy enough to make but what I can’t recall
> is exactly where the ball mounts.  Directly over the rear axle?  Little
> ahead?  Little behind?
>
> Any tips appreciated.  BTW the truck is an ’05 dodge ¾ ton diesel; 8’
> bed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lew near Waco, TX

Hi Lew:

	That seems to be a matter of opinion. I have seen all three recommended
in different discussions. I like it a bit ahead of the axle so it places
some of the weight on the front end (obviously not a lot). I believe
that the one on my truck is about 2" in front of the center of the back
wheels. Note: I didn't install it, it was like that when I bought the truck.
	When I was farm manager at the Garst research farm we hauled tractors
and our combine around several states on a very long tandem dually
low-boy with a gooseneck hitch behind a Ford F-350 dually pickup with a
gas 460 (the gas gauge was as fast as the speedometer).   :-) On it the
ball was about an inch in front of the centerline IIRC. I have seen them
as far as 6" in front of the centerline and a few inches behind.
	I love to go look over the rigs at tractor shows and see what kinds of
trailers with what kind of modifications there are. Some of them are
quite unique. Sometimes I think we could have a great show just showing
trailers and butt buggies.   :-)

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)