[AT] Tractor Blues... Gone. My Jubilee is up and running. (now includes some rambling)

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jul 11 00:04:42 PDT 2008

WF Smith wrote:

> No one gave an answer when I asked ATIS how to remove the starter from a
> Jubilee, and if it required removal of the oil filter.

=======================================

	I believe I responded that I didn't recall us ever removing the starter
on our Jubilee in the roughly 8 years we owned it (I wish I had it back
now).
	Your message reminded me of the words my father used regarding the
usefulness of the original manual that came with the tractor.
Unfortunately I can't use most of those words here...   :-)
I still have that manual but I don't have to open it to recall how often
in the trouble shooting section it just said "see your dealer's
serviceman"... The after-market manuals we have today were rare in the
1950's. Even today there are a lot of great  shortcuts and tips that are
not in the books. This list and a few other sources are about the best
source for those. That or a friendly long time mechanic. I got one of
those tips from a fellow that we used to farm out some wrench turning
work to when we were too busy with something else. We farmed out several
rebuilds during the couple of years in the early 1970's we spent
building 1500 sq. ft. with full basement and attic storage onto this
house. The main tip I got from him was that you can replace the clutch
disk in a Farmall M without a complete split of the tractor. The last
disk I put in my Super M I just slightly "opened" the split line, mostly
at the bottem and worked up through the bottom cover plate. The fuel
tank, all lines and wires etc. all stayed in place. None of the bolts at
the split line are completely removed (block up everything safely). The
clutch shaft back to the transmission is unbolted that the coupling and
removed. That doesn't work on an MTA.  :-)

-

I never sold a tractor that I didn't eventually wish I had back... Now
I'm still debating with myself over selling my Deere 4020... It always
loafed at pulling a 16' disk deep disking at 6 MPH. I just don't need
that kind of HP since I retired. Its really too heavy to be hauling to
shows. Still, it would look sharp with new paint...??? I haven't
actually used it in 2 years. I'm about due to fire it up again for some
silly little job that my little Yanmar 1500 could do just to run it a
while. I lean one way one day and the other way the next...

-

	I just sent on-line condolences to the family of a long time renter who
just died of breast cancer. She and her husband moved out a couple of
years ago owing me a great deal of money after some tough times and
finally financial ruin. I had allowed them to fall behind because they
had done so in the past and always caught back up eventually. I didn't
go after the money when they first moved out because they didn't have
any... Then I found out that she had cancer. I didn't see much point in
hounding them for it then, they had enough problems and I didn't really
need it all that bad. Life is short and uncertain. You just have to
decide what is important. Money isn't...

Old tractors on the other hand... That is almost like family.   :-)

--

"farmer"

I wouldn't mind being absent minded so bad if forgetfulness
could just be a little more selective. Just last week I
was saying so to "whats-her-name..."

Hay & Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)