[AT] Pressure drop?

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Jan 31 12:47:40 PST 2008

--On Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:37 PM -0500 Gene Dotson
<gdotsly at watchtv.net> wrote:

>     Farmer;
>     I have one concern about running the line outside. That is the
> possibility of condensation freezing in the line. Will you be using a
> water  trap ahead of the line? Will it be buried below the freezing
> level? If the  air is still warm when it enters the the outside line, it
> will be cooled  passing through the line allowing the moisture to
> condense and possibly  freezing.

	Hi Gene:

	It will run from the farm shop to the woodshop inside of one of a pair of
4" conduits that run side by side down about 18" (only 18" deep because I
dug the 200' line by hand years ago). The wood shop is in the 24' X 48'
former store building which by Cubfest 2004? was attached to my former
house and we were using it as a family room. It sits about 5' lower than
the farm shop and the grade of the conduits is pretty even so if there is
any condensation it should settle to the point where the conduits enter the
building. The two conduits are open into both buildings and the one with
the air line already has a water line in it. It will also have a pair of
hot water heat lines in it so I don't expect any freeze problems. The other
conduit only has an electric line in it right now but I plan a phone line
there too (not a big priority since I carry a cell phone) and a couple of
switched control lines.
	In the unlikely event that a freeze should occur it will be easy to blow
some hot air through the conduit to thaw it. That could only happen if the
power to the hydronic pump was off and temps were well below zero.
	I will never run undergrounds again without running it in conduits. I can
add or change stuff at will and it gives an extra layer of protection from
damage. Scott is going to bore a line for me between the house and the farm
shop and pull a conduit through that bore as soon as I get enough "stuff"
moved from the back of the shop.   :-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson