[AT] OT: recording vinyl to computer files

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Jan 28 17:15:47 PST 2008

Combining a few replies into one...

RW CDs are erased just by leaving them in the sun.   R (write once)
CDs are not erased in this way, but the sun is still bad on plastic in
general.

The limit for files on a cd is the larger of 100 songs, or 74 minutes
(sometimes you see 80 minute CDs, which cheat the standard in ways
that almost always work).   DVDs can store more music, but it is rare
to see a music player that knows what to do with DVDs.   MP3, (ogg,
acc, ...) can also store a lot more music on a disk, but at the sound
is worse (often you need an oscilloscope to tell the difference), and
many cd players can play that music.

As lifetime: don't expect more than 2 years out of a CD unless you are
taking special care to have it last longer - this means you keep one
copy for use and one in storage where you never touch it.   Even then,
you may have problems.  The first pressed CDs are often unreadable due
to age problems.  At one time Kodak made archival CDs which they
claimed were good for 500 years, but the price was high enough
($1/disk) that nobody bought any, so Kodak quit selling them.

If want music for your own use: make 1 perfect copy for storage
(preferably in a fire safe - this could be the original), and one (or
several - I keep a copy in each of my cars) that you actually use.
The storage copy should be the best copy you can make.   The copy you
use should be whatever is most useful to you.   My car will play MP3
CDs, so that is what I use there - it is nice to have all my music at
just the push of a button.

If you want to get into archiving manuals and then like, the best is
still archival paper (which isn't that expensive) stored in a cool dry
place.   Future archaeologists will thank you for your efforts if you
do this (and it happens to be something they care about).

I have seen 1 step, put the record on the player, and out pops a CD
machines.   I don't recall where anymore, but it was just a couple
months ago (Guitar Center perhaps?) and I can't find it anymore.
Still if you search you should be able to find one.

As for what is wrong with records: they don't play in the car, where
CDs do.   (With the exception of about 200 cars that had a 15 rpm
record player - I think about 10 albums were released for them).   The
other problem is wear.  A brand new record sounds better than a brand
new Cd (Some bands still release records for this reason).   After
just a few plays the CD is better though because of wear.   For most
people this isn't a big deal, the poor quality of a high compression
mp3 is still better than their stereo system.