[AT] OT: recording vinyl to computer files

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Jan 28 16:31:52 PST 2008

Ralph,
  the only problems I have heard of WRT CD problems usually were in
reference to people who used RW types. The ones you can record to and
then erase. They can be a problem if certain types of light hit them. If
your using good CD-R blanks and don't store them in the furnace they
should be fine for a long time. Original CDs that are made as stampings
will last a long time.
Personally I have been buying up a few extra hard drives and making
double backup copies of everything I want to keep. I just rotate through
the different drives as needed. I also have a fire resistant back-up
drive that I built myself. Started with a large safe, then mounted a
pair of racks in it to hold the drives. The drives are connected up
using a USB 2 hub inside the safe. The power supply for the drives and
the hub are all external to the safe. The connections from the outside
are through a few ceramic connectors and the inner and outer connections
are staggered. Gives me a total of 480 GB per channel.

--
Steve W.
Firefighter,EMT,Fire Police