[AT] OT: recording vinyl to computer files (was Re: The Wreck Of The Old 97/OT

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jan 28 07:45:05 PST 2008

--On Monday, January 28, 2008 8:45 AM -0600 Don Thiel <dwt at rrt.net> wrote:

> There is absolutely nothing wrong with the old
> LPs, Mattias.   Just like there's nothing wrong
> with the old tractors--except maybe the green
> ones, but that's a whole other
> discussion  :-)   My goal has been to get my
> collection recorded as they play--I do not care
> if I record pops and hisses.   This way I can
> fire up the computer, set the player to whatever
> playlist, genre, artist, or however I want to
> play and let it go.  My first goal was to get all
> my Christmas music done.  I am a Christmas music
> nut.  I prefer the traditional stuff over the
> modern stuff, but will listen to Steamroller and
> TSO.  Anyway, I have over 70 hours of Christmas
> music digitized.   I also have my sound card
> wired back to the stereo and speakers in the
> garage, basement and outside.   So I can fire up
> the computer and set it to shuffle and repeat and
> let it play.  Won't hear the same song twice
> (unless it's in the library twice) for over three
> days...   I did the same thing for Independence
> Day, I have about 8 hours of patriotic
> stuff--marches, Americana, stuff like that.   I
> let that play while we are having our
> Independence Day celebration.  Everyone that comes enjoys the extra touch.
>
> The girls have also decided that Dad's old music
> isn't so bad and some of it has made it to their
> mp3 players....In some cases, to the chagrin of
> their friends--My eldest relishes in making her
> friends listen to Johnny Cash's "The One on the Left".  :-)
>

> Don

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

	Here I thought it was just us on Christmas music.   :-)   We have a big
stack of Christmas LP that we accumulated many years ago. Many were put out
by Goodyear and Firestone (remember those?).
	WE didn't have a big sound system but we had bought a GE portable used for
about $17 at a yard sale. When we opened the store in 1974 we ran that
player full time all day from opening to closing through the Christmas
season (a few days shorter back then). I added a remote speaker to it and
mounted it outside so it could be heard out there too. We really did pretty
much wear those poor records out. We were still using that old GE when we
retired from the store in about 1995/96.
	As far as the kids went I always did say that it is part of a parents
responsibility to embarrass their children.   :-)   I still work at it even
though they are all grown. :-)  Son Scott gave me a bumper sticker along
with my Christmas gift that says "I embarrass my children".   :-)   I think
I will put it on my old 4 x 4 farm pickup that has a cowboy made out of old
horseshoes on the hood.   :-)   I was going to take that off when I bought
the truck until one of my grown kids said "I hope you are going to take
that thing off and throw it away". That was enough for me... I took it off,
gave it a nice detailed paint job and put it back on...   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)
None of them ever ask to borrow that truck...
	A local (Indy) radio station played Christmas music 24-7 from Thanksgiving
until December 26th. Their play list was not too bad. I tend to like
classical music in the shop but right now I have a country station playing.
The radio is not ever turned off. I can't seem to find a classical station
right now. I have a few CDs but not a lot. Classical CDs are hard to find
at yard sales.
	I don't know where the 8 tracks went but we only had a few since they
didn't stick around long.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson