[AT] Off topic---soil sampler

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jan 21 07:57:41 PST 2008

	I still have the sampling tool my father made back in the 1940's. He made
a "T" handle out of 3/8" ID galvanized pipe and welded a 1" wood auger bit
into the bottom of it. It looked much like the larger dynamite auger we
had. You just screwed it into the ground about 8" and pulled it back
straight up. The dirt stayed in the bit and you held it over the bucket an
and with your fingers in the flutes of the bit turned it backward to strip
the dirt out of them. I also have one or two of those tube type but they
can rattle your teeth if you shove it quickly into soft ground and hit a
rock halfway down.   :-)
	I was always taught to kick the top 1" out of the way with my heel before
pulling a sample to avoid anomalies from critter poop etc. That is kind of
hard to do if you are riding around on an ATV and not getting off to pull
the sample. I never pulled samples from the worst soil in the field and
also avoided those small areas of almost super soil that fields sometimes
have. As I sampled I tried to pull most from average soil for that field
and if I leaned to one side I wanted to lean toward the weaker soils.
	I did let the fertilizer dealer do the analysis most of the time but tried
to balance it between what they wanted to sell and what I wanted to
spend...   :-)   That is one advantage to using a county extension test
through the universities. They don't have something to sell. I thought that
it was interesting that the one year that Terra International tried the ag
lime business here along with the fertilizer was the only year out of many
that my soil test said that I needed to lime...   :-)  Not before or
since... I have no idea what the neighbor that now cash rents my grain
ground does. I haven't seen him nor a dealer pulling samples but then since
I retired from that part of farming I'm not home as much and could have
well missed seeing them. I do know that he does a good job of farming in
general and since he raises mostly food grade corn that he has to stay on
top of such things. I need to talk to him this year to see if we do need to
lime a bit. I do want to lime some hay ground this year.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA